Thursday, January 20, 2011

TV Dinners...YUMMY!

Tonight, Sam had to be out of town, so the kids and I were on our own for supper. Normally, I would jump at the chance for take-out or pizza, but since Sept-Jan is a VERY expensive time of year for us with EVERYONE's birthdays and Christmas, we are really trying to stretch our dollars a little right now. I had just gotten groceries and just happened to grab some TV dinners that were on sale for really cheap. I NEVER buy them, but I thought they might be an easy lunch or something someday, so I let the kids each pick one and got one for myself, inwardly congratulating myself on being thrifty and economical.

Today was a busy day. I had a dr appt this morning where they test for gestational diabetes, so it was a long one. Usually I take the kids with me to the dr but since I would have to sit and wait for a while, our awesome babysitter Amanda was hanging out with them. I took advantage of my freedom and did some errands all by myself (YAY for that!!) so it was about 2:30 when I got home. Claire and Darren both took exceptionally short naps, and Ellie really needed one, but I wasn't going to make her take one when both of them were up! *SIGH* ANYHOO, long story short-no hubby, little to no naps, and Children's Meetings in Stout equaled needing something fast, easy and delicious for supper. AH HA-my TV dinners! I KNEW they would come in handy! So, I pop them in the oven, get everyone's clothes laid out, pull out my innner drill sargeant to get the troops to pick up our tornado house, and lo and behold, the timer beeps-Dinner is served!

Well, we got the fast and easy part at least. Oh man, was I reminded why I never buy them. Those things are DISGUSTING!!!! The mac and cheese was like rubber, the potatoes were...I don't know what they were, but they weren't potatoes, and the corn was so overgrown and overcooked, it was pretty much inedible. Claire Bear summed it up best: "Moma, dis yucky. No yike it." I completely agreed with her so we each found one thing in our meal that wasn't disgusting. I ate part of my chicken, Ellie ate her ckn nuggets, Darren ate his chicken and dessert, and Claire had an extremely overcooked, hard as a rock, brownie for supper (which she loved btw!). Way to go SuperMom! Thank goodness tonight was pizza night at Children's Meeting! :)

Moral of the Story:
Self, there is a reason those suckers are .50 and why you don't buy them. Please remember this the next time you are tempted.
Thank you kindly, Your Taste Buds

I think I need to go rock.....

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my that sounds awful, they do have better frozen dinners but most likely not for .50 each. Missing our Dike kids a lot, need to find time to get down there again. Love Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I am a bad mommy but we do tv dinners a lot. Not really for dinner usually, but we have them for lunch. I don't know which brand you tried because some of them are yucky but I have been buying Lean Cuisine meals and have found them a life saver. I have gestational diabetes so I just look for the ones that are really low in carbs. They taste great to me and have really helped me keep my numbers under control. My kids aren't picky about tv dinners though. They'll eat just about anything.

    ReplyDelete