Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Happy Birthday Ellie Girl!!

9 years ago today, my life changed forever. 9 years….seems like it's flown by but at the same time it seems like a million years ago. 9 years ago today, the dream that I'd had since I was a kid came to fruition. 9 years ago today my Ellie girl was born. 9 years ago today, I became a mommy. I will never forget the moment they put Ellie in my arms. It was a tough labor and she was born in the middle of the night, so I was beyond exhausted, but it didn't matter. They took her to the little thing to check her over immediately after she was born since delivery had been kind of tough for her and I both. The moment they placed her in my arms, though, none of that mattered. She was here and she was beautiful. The little one we had dreamed about and prayed so hard for. I remember saying "Hi little girl! I'm so glad to meet you!" as tears filled my eyes. Sam was leaning over the look at her too and I could tell he was just as anxious to hold her as I had been. When he took her, it was like he had been handling babies all his life. He just picked her up and ever so gently tucked her in the crook of his arm. I was kind of shocked-like how did you know how to do that? Proof that he was born to be a dad! :)
Fast forward 9 years. Today that beautiful, tiny little 6 pound baby is a beautiful,spunky 9 year old. She is exceptionally picky, and would rather starve than eat something she has in her head that she doesn't like. She was pretty pumped that she made peanut butter cookies pretty much by herself at Grandma Harbaugh's the other day. We have quite a few 'discussions' about clothing. She loves "fashion" but constantly wants to wear sweatpants because jeans give her "button rash". In case you have never heard of it, button rash is the little marks you get on your  sides and tummy when you are so skinny that you have to cinch your pants all the way in with those adjustable waist things. If you have never heard of it, that is totally normal because it is a completely made up disease, but according to my girls causes all sorts of TERRIBLE tragedies, pains and other maladies. It's kind of fun for me now-she can make suggestions about which shoes look best with this outfit and other fun girly stuff. She really wants to wear make up, but is content with "lipstick" (aka lip gloss) for now. I tell her she's just too cute for make up (not that I would let her wear it anyway, but you know what I mean) and it's not my fault. If she wasn't so cute, then maybe I would have to let her wear it to cover up her ugly, but since we don't have that problem, she can't wear make up! :)
She's not a huge fan of math but LOVES to read. It's fun for me to give her suggestions about books that I liked to read as a kid and experience the joy that a love of reading can give thru her eyes.
Kai man ADORES his big sister. The other day is a perfect example. Kai was being a BEAST. He really needed a nap, but hadn't gotten one and therefore, his little life was falling apart. Nothing was making him happy. Finally I asked El if she would read him a book. If I would have suggested it, he would have been ADAMENTLY against any sort of thing, but when she asked him, he was all for it! I took a picture of the 2 of them snuggled in the rocking chair reading. He loves all his siblings, but I think him and El will have a special bond. They have since Kai was a baby and it's cute to see it continuing on today.
So, today, my attention loving 9 year old is taking hello kitty cupcakes to school, and has requested Texas Roadhouse for supper so she can sit on the saddle and have them do the yee-haw thing for her. :) We are celebrating Saturday where the menu will be pizza, chips, and apples with peanut butter and chocolate chips, all her favorite things.
Happy Birthday Ellie girl. I know we are getting to that age where we don't always agree on everything, but I hope you know that no matter what, I've got your back. I know you don't always understand my reasonings but that's ok. I know you are trying to grow up so fast, but just can't quite get there. I know friends will hurt your feelings and someday a boy will crush your heart. No matter what, I will be here for you. You might not aways agree right now with what Daddy and I say or do for you, but even then, I hope you know that we love you more than you will ever know.  More than you will ever understand until that time when you have your own little one to hold. You are my first born, my long awaited, so VERY wanted, so very special baby girl. Happy Birthday Chica- thanks for making me a Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment