Saturday, January 28, 2012

Crazy Day 3!

Oh my it's been a crazy day! It's 10:00 and I am just turning on the computer if that tells you anything!  Texted Sam this morning and he didn't respond right away, so I just hopped in the shower to get ready, and wasn't out too long when his text back was something to the effect of "not a good night.  be prepared, there is an IV in his head". Needless to say, I pretty much rushed to the hospital after that!  Turns out that the foot where his iv was was starting to swell and the backup one in his hand kept kinking.  I guess they had a TERRIBLE time starting another one.  They would get them in fine and then his little viens kept blowing.  They finally decided to try in his head and eventually had to call in a flight nurse to get one in.  My poor little baby. In a way, I wished I was there to comfort him, but in all practicality, I am SO glad that I wasn't there.  I don't think I could've handled it to be honest.  Sam said that he was just SCREAMING and at one point he had to hold his back down while someone else held his head.  It makes my stomach hurt and makes me want to cry just thinking about it. The one in his head seems to be doing great and now he's wearing socks on his hands so he doesn't try and pull it out. Claire thought that was pretty wierd that he had socks on his hands!! :)
Got to see my kiddos today!  I have been missing them so much! George and Jean brought up Darren and Claire and a little later my folks brought up Ellie.  I think they were scared of Kai because they didn't want to touch him or get too close.  I know it's hard for them too, but they didn't do too bad. It was getting a little rambunctious in Kai's room, so Jean took over Kai duty and we took the kids to RMH to show them where we stay, etc.  It was so nice being able to be with them.  We took a tour, played in the playroom, ate some lunch, and then the kids and I played a game, did a puzzle, and snuggled on the couch to watch a movie while Daddy got in a much needed nap after his crazy night/morning. Ellie made a comment while we were there that "you guys get to have all the fun and do all the fun stuff" (like stay in the RMH).  Then we hung out in the ICU after D & C left and I asked her again if she still thought that Daddy and I got to do all the fun stuff since this is where we are ALL day long.  Her answer was a very quick no! :)  Claire cried when she had to leave me and Darren kept hugging me and telling me he loved me and that he wanted Baby Kai to come home.   He didn't cry but he looked so sad that i thought he would cry.  Needless to say, I cried.  Seeing Mommy cry made things so much worse, but I didn't want them to go either.  I hate being seperated from them this long and it was a rough day to begin with so that didn't help any either. We just keep reminding them, and they remind me when I get sad too, that we are all doing this, even if we don't like it, because we love Baby Kai and we want him to be healthy.
Today was a rough day for little man too.  Apparently the Dex stuff that has been working so well to keep him sedated is very addicting and if they use it too long, they have to cycle off of it gradually, so they didn't want to do that with Kai.  No one told me this until much later, and I was VERY frustrated that they wouldn't give it to him, but wanted him to stay on his tummy!  Do you know how hard it is to keep a VERY active little man on his tummy when he's not sedated much?  CRAZY hard and very exhausting let me tell ya! By around 8 my nerves were SHOT and I was about ready to scream at the next person who was wishy washy about why they wouldn't give it to him.  All they would say was that it was just for a little while and tomorrow he could move around more.  No one told me WHY they were stopping the Dex. One doctor even told me that I shouldn't worry because Kai wasn't really mad at me, he was just frustrated and he wouldn't remember this at all.  Honestly, at that point, I wanted to smack someone and yell "I KNOW he's not mad and I wouldn't care if he was.  I KNOW he won't remember this, nor would I want him to, but that has NOTHING to do with what I asked you!!!"  I didn't, but it was hard.  All I knew was that he couldn't go down to the regular peds unit until he was off the dex but they kept saying that maybe he would just go tomorrow.  So why won't you give him the dex for the night so we can all get some peace!  FINALLY, around 8:30 or so, Dr. Mike, a resident who we really like and who we think LIVES at the hospital :) came in to tell us that they were going to move Kai since he was off the dex and they were filling up in the PICU so they didn't want to have to move us at 3 AM if someone needed our space.  I asked him about the stupid dex and he FINALLY explained it to me.  If someone would have told me this morning when they turned it off that it is very addicting, and Kai was nearing the addiction stage, instead of being so wishy washy I would have a few less gray hairs, but what's done is done and I feel much better.  (Especailly since I just vented on here too! :))
So here we are on the regular peds floor.  We have a private room and it seem a lot bigger than the PICU room.  Kai doesn't have to be hooked up to so many monitors so that is nice too.  They don't have to check on him as often, so hopefully everyone will get some sleep. We still can't snuggle him, but he can at least lay prone on a pillow on my lap, so I did hold him for a while today.  I can't wait to snuggle and cuddle him tho! HOPEFULLY Dr. Menezes will say tomorrow that Kai can be a little more active because that would make our lives much simpler! One of the nurses told me last night that she thinks Dr. Menezes is the best surgeon in the hospital, but he is VERY strict with his patients.  Yep, we got that!
Off to the RMH for me.  Super Dad is staying the night again.  I even argued with him this time that it was my turn and I was completely fine staying so he could go to RMH, but he insisted he is fine, so I guess I will let him spoil me! :)  I am going to try to come a little earlier tomorrow so he can maybe go get a decent nap later on, so we'll see what the day holds. We have learned that you really never can tell, so we just go with the flow and try to be as positive as we can! Good night for now!

1 comment:

  1. Sam and Tif, Thanks for the update. We are so
    feeling for you right now. You are still in our
    thoughts and prayers. You are all troopers and
    know that each day is one day less and closer to
    the day when your lives can be normal again.

    ReplyDelete