Tuesday, January 31, 2012

We are HOME!!!

SIGH!  I am sitting at home on my own couch, in my pjs, typing this and I cannot explain how good that feels! Getting ready to head to bed, but thought I would just get everyone up to speed on the last day.
Shortly after I blogged last night, we started to see some action on the BM front. I had convinced myself that we were headed for some major intervention and I think we would have been had he not started going.  I know that they had called some pediatric GI doctors, so I think the nurses were getting a little more worried than they were letting on.  So, we started changing diapers and trying to get him settled for bed but the IV line kept beeping and saying that it was kinked. Turns out that Kai had basically yanked his IV out of his head.  My stomach dropped because it's no secret how much I HATE IVs.  My poor little man was so uncomfortable that I wasn't sure if my heart could handle having to put him through another iv placement.  Superdad to the Rescue!!! My awesome hubby volunteered to stay again at the hospital so I could get away before the iv placement started. I just can't bear the thought of Kai being in pain and having to hold him down while he is screaming is just more than my heart can handle. So, feeling so torn, I got the heck out of there.  I was pretty sure we were going to be there a few more days what with this new issue popping up, and Kai had pooped all over his blankys so I popped some laundry in and took a shower, all the while hoping to hear the phone ring and Sam telling me that the IV was in, Kai has emptied his tummy and they were both going to sleep. Finally about midnight, I sent Sam a text to get a status update and he said that they had tried a couple times, had someone from PICU come down and try, and no one had been successful so they were waiting for the flight nurse again, and that I should just go to sleep so that one of us wasn't exhausted in the morning.  I was so tired, so I finally agreed after he promised to call me if Kai needed me.
I woke up feeling MUCH better and texted him right away to see how his night had gone.  His response was "Night was horrible and we are going home"...wait a sec...oh no-my poor baby and YAY at the same time! Turns out my poor hubby got almost NO sleep last night.  He said that he would just get Kai to sleep and then he would poop and make a huge mess.  Needless to say, he would wake up during the changing of the sheets, blankets, diapers, drapes, etc.  That happened several times and then Sam FINALLY got Kai to sleep, no poop, and was crawling into bed when the nurse came in to do vitals...GRRR!  I can only imagine the frustration. He said the small amount of sleep he did get didn't come until at least 4:30. He said Kai slept for about 4 hours and then by that time, all the doctors were rounding, lab people were coming for blood draws, and that was the end of sleep!
Someone had brought breakfast to RMH today, so I ate some breakfast and made up a plate for Sam and headed up. Long story short, they apparently were happy with the "progress" Kai had made with the constipation and since he was standing up shaking his crib and acting like a wild man :), they said we could go home!  Sam said someone from the ped surgery clinic came down to take a look at Kai's bum because we thought it looked kind of wierd, but they said that everything looked fine.  We packed up some stuff and then Dr. Menezes' PA came to answer our final questions and sign our discharge order! We headed to RMH to get our stuff there packed up.  Hy-Vee had donated a bunch of stuff for lunch, so it worked out great.  You don't realize how delicious things like milk, fresh salad and fresh fruit are until you eat a lot of cafeteria and greasy food! We packed and did our cleaning at RMH, then Kai and I had some lunch while Sam loaded the car, joining us when he finished.  Kai and I hit up the playroom while Sam did all the checkout stuff and we were OFF for home!  We decided that Jean would keep D and C one more night so we could catch our breath a little and I was thinking that we would do the same with El, but after a conversation with my mom, I decided that I needed Ellie to come home and she needed to be here too :).  Sam crashed almost as soon as we got home and Kai and I just relaxed and enjoyed our rocking chair for a while. It was kind of cute.  He was crawling all over the place checking everything out, and I could tell he was looking for his big brother and sisters and was a little confused as to why it was so quiet in our house and why no one was manhandling him! :) I love it! I invited myself over to Mom's for spaghetti, so Kai and I left Sam at home sleeping and headed over to surprise El.  She was so happy to see us.  A few minutes later she had her face buried in my middle, and when she looked up, her big brown eyes were rimmed in red and I asked her if she was going to cry. That did it.  We sat on the floor of "her room" and she just cried.  She was such a big girl and so brave, and I knew she was just so tired that she needed to cry now that Mommy was home.  Not gonna lie...I choked back a few tears myself.  It was just so good to hold her in my arms, knowing that I wasn't going to have to watch her walk away in a little while.
There is nothing like some good home cooking from your mom's kitchen when you are tired, and it was delicious.  Ellie, of course, was NOT ready to go all of a sudden :) but when I mentioned seeing Daddy she changed her mind. Kai was so happy to have someone sitting next to him in the car.  I looked back in the rearview mirror on the way home and Kai was holding onto Ellie's finger.  Not doing anything-just holding it. Those 2 are good buddies and it's adorable in my unbiased opinion! :)
My house is a disaster, I have hardly unpacked anything, and today I am so ok with that.  2 of my babies are sleeping cozy and warm in their own beds, and 2 more will be here tomorrow so I can squeeze them. I can't wait!! I'm sure they will all be cranky and naughty since they have had to be good for so long, but maybe I will just hug it out of them! :)
On that note, I am going to snuggle on MY couch, with MY hubby, and watch MY tv and then go to sleep in MY bed only to wake up to shower in MY shower!! Can you tell I am glad to be home? :)

1 comment:

  1. Love It! Can totally picture your relief and excitement to be HOME again:) Lorene W.

    ReplyDelete