Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 2

Thank you everyone of your kind comments and encouragements.  They mean a lot!  Kai is doing good.  When they told us that he would be sedated, in my mind, that meant that he was totally asleep, but it's not.  He definitely sleeps a lot, but wakes up quite a bit too.  When he is awake he is quite the little bugger and it's definitely challenging to keep him on his tummy and not crawling around.  He is on some medicine that the nurses call  "dex" along with several pain medications, including morpine and tylonel and lots that I don't know too :) The dex is supposed to make him sleep/be drowsy.  This morning they tried to lower his dose....yeah-that didn't go so well. I now know, from experience, how hard it is to keep a very active 9 month old on his tummy or side when he really doesn't want to be! They actually had to put his dose back up so he would stay resting. He is hungry ALL the time.  Dr. Menezes said that he could nurse so I was so glad to do that today.  However, my body isn't used to being his only source of nutrition, so he has been having formula too.  The nurses are all amazed at how much he eats. :) That's a good sign right? :) Feeding him while he is laying on his tummy has it's own set of challenges, but we seem to be managing.  Diapering isn't going as bad as I thought it would.  They just put his diapers on backwards,and it makes things MUCH easier! :)
Sam and I seem to be managing pretty good.  We got into RMH last night, so that is wonderful.  Sam stayed here with Kai last night and I slept there.  I was SO tired that I knew if I didn't sleep, I would just make myself sick.  When I got back, I literally wiped my face with a baby wipe, went to the bathroom, took off my jeans and climbed into bed.  I didn't even change my shirt or anything.  I think I laid there maybe 2 minutes and was OUT!  I woke up a little after 7, went to the bathroom, crawled back into bed and slept until 9:30!  It was so nice, and I woke up feeling SO much better.  I got my shower taken and actually felt human enough to take on the day! My awesome hubby volunteered to sleep on the little couch here last night because he knew that I was shot. Wasn't that sweet of him?  I love that guy! AND he even volunteered to stay again tonight!! He headed a little while ago back to RMH to take a nap for a while and then will come back later. He said Kai had a pretty good night. Woke up a few times, but nothing too major. It's hard to tell if Kai is feeling pain.  He is kind of fussy and out of it from all the sedation, but they seem to be keeping up on the pain meds, so I think that is helping. We will be in the PICU again tonight, and depending on what Dr. Menezes says tomorrow, we might be heading down to the regular peds floor tomorrow, but I have learned in this hospital not to hold my breath.  It will happen when it happens and I am ok with that.
We have been getting excellent care.  The nurses are VERY caring and knowledgable, so that definitely helps make us more comfortable
Little Man seems to be finally sleeping peacefully, so I think the correct amount of Dex finally got into his system.  Before when he would sleep, he was still kind of restless but he seems to be pretty relaxed right now so that helps a Mommy's heart too. Last night he just couldn't settle down.  All he could have was pedialyte and was taking in so much the nurse said we shouldn't give him anymore.  I think he was so hungry and just wanted to be held, neither of which I could do!  It was so hard-my arms literally ached to hold him, but I knew I couldn't so I just stayed by his bed and stroaked his head and his back until he FINALLY settled down about 2 hours later.  Breaks a momma's heart ya know?
Other than that, not too much going on! We have had a couple visitors which is a nice distraction and I am finally getting some free reading in so there are definitely silver linings to this cloud! Sam has been watching all the movies that I am too scared to watch with him on the laptop with headphones.  He gets them from the patient library here, along with the games for the playstation that is in our room. I miss my kiddos like crazy, but Ellie and I keep reminding each other that we are doing this because we love Baby Kai! :)
Thanks again for all your prayers and encouragement.  I know I keep saying that, but they REALLY do mean a lot to us!

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear everything is going well. I am so sorry you all have to go through all this. But it is for the best. I want to call so bad, but don't know when is a good time, and don't want to bother you. Just remember that we love you guys and many prayers going your way. {{hugs}} David & Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya Tiff! And Sam... and Kai... and all the kiddos. hang in there honey, the end is in sight!
    Sharee

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can only imagine what little Kai is feeling n thinking through all of this , but know for sure he is in good hands n He knows what he is going. So glad to hear u all had a decent night. Hope tonight is a little better yet though. Hang in there! With love, Gisella n Jay

    ReplyDelete