Thursday, January 26, 2012

Surgery is OVER!!! YAY!

As I write this, I am sitting in the oh-so-comfy hospital chairs :) in the PICU.  Surgery is done!  We were here at 6 this morning and everything went great.  Kai slept good all night, so I just bundled him up in blankets and snuggled him on the way to the hospital. Not a good idea, I know, but I just couldn't help it this morning.  Pre-surgery went fine.  The anesthesiologist that came to talk to us, Dr. Austin, was VERY nice.  He was playing with Kai a little while he talked to us, and when we were done talking, they were ready for Kai.  Dr. Austin held out his arms and Kai went to him with no problems, intent on trying to pull Dr. Austin's mask off to find his nose. :) His brother and sisters honk when he pokes their noses, so he thinks that everyone else should too! He wasn't crying or anything, so that made it a little easier on a Momma's heart to hand him off to strangers.  Of course, once he was out of the room, I cried a little.  When we got to the surgical waiting room, I sat down and then I REALLY cried.  Of course at that time, the "family representative" stopped to talk to us.  I know I am not the only person who has cried there, but STILL!  It's embarrassing, but life goes on.
There was a couple of very nice people that we talked to while we were waiting, so that is a nice distraction.  I was feeling very restless, so even though I had tons of stuff to do in my bag, I went for a little walk and found a rocking chair in the patient library.  Guess where I was when my mom found me later! :)  I know it's wierd, but it just felt so good to sit and rock.  Shortly after that, they called and said the surgery was done and they were starting to stitch him back up.  Total his surgery was just over 4 hours, so that wasn't terrible.  The people we were talking to were there for 8! Dr. Menezes said that everything went well.  The fat was as thick as Dr. Menezes fingernail-gross, but other than that, no surprises or anything.  They put internal stiches, but used glue on the outside so Mr. Kai won't even have to have stitches taken out! It took a while, but they finally called us to the ICU to see my baby! He is sedated, but occasionally awake.  He's very drowsy but that's ok.  They have to keep him on his side or his tummy for at least 48 hours.  I can't hold him which is really hard, but he seems to be pretty comfortable.  If I thought he was in pain or really uncomfortable it would be harder to not hold him, so we're managing. We will be in the ICU for a couple of days at least and then to the regular peds floor.  Our nurse in the ICU is awesome.  He seems very knowledgeable and compassionate, so that's comforting too.
Honestly, my brain is just tired right now.  If this doesn't make sense...sorry! :)  Sam just brought up my pillow, so I will take that as a sign that it's time for a nap! :) Please pray for my little man's recovery and that there are no complications so we can go HOME and have all this just be a memory. I will try to post updates on here periodically.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful news! Glad to hear that everything went well for Kai! :) Hope you all get a good nights rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete